It’s an unfortunate reality that if you own a home or other property with a septic system, you will have to have the tank periodically emptied. That’s simply the nature of septic tanks. They don’t have infinite capacity, and from time to time, what’s inside them needs to be pumped out and transported to where it can be disposed of safely.
As providers of affordable septic service in Hesperia, we want everyone in the area to have the best and safest possible experience with their septic system. So in this blog, we wanted to talk about when a septic tank needs pumping, and how you can tell it’s time.
When Is It Time For A Septic System Pumping?
The amount of time it can take for a septic tank to fill up can vary considerably, depending on the capacity of the tank as well as the amount of usage it sees from the building(s) attached. However, as a rule of thumb, a tank will need to be pumped out every five years, at most. In high-use/low-capacity cases, it could be as low as three years.
So we generally recommend a timetable of 3-4 years per pumping. And if it’s been more than five years, you’re definitely running a risk. You don’t want to wait until your septic tank is actually full because, at that point, it’s already going to be causing problems.
Problems That Come With a Full Septic Tank
In a worst-case scenario where the tank has become full, these are some of the problems you could expect to see:
- Toilets which are slow to flush, or even refuse to flush entirely.
- Slow or non-draining sinks and showers.
- Water use in one area causing water to back up in another, such as running the dishwasher and seeing water appear in the bathtub.
- Foul smells coming from your drains.
- Visible standing grey water around drains.
- Swampy or marshy areas on your lawn, accompanied by foul smells.
- Visible grey water runoff downhill from your drain field.
If you are in a situation where you see any of these, it is imperative to seek out affordable septic service in Hesperia immediately. That grey water is a health hazard to yourself, your family, and any animals in the area.
Roto-Rooter High Desert Offers Affordable Septic Service in Hesperia
For septic problems big or small, schedule an appointment today!